Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Times they are a-changin'

This morning Andrea and I went to the US Embassy here in Bogota to ask for a residency visa for her. We couldn't have been more prepared because we had all the documents we needed (or so we thought - more later on that). We double- and triple-checked to see if everything was in order and it was. Props go out to mom who stepped up and decided to sponsor Andrea when she arrives. I, too, will be her sponsor as I am her husband.

After the initial wait of about an hour, we stepped up to the first bulletproof window and Andrea communicated with the Colombian woman behind it via jailhouse phone. The woman mentioned that we were missing a document but instructed us to drop off the papers nonetheless and proceed to another area. Unshaken, we then waited for about 4 more hours, during which many people were sent home visa-less for of whatever reason. I concluded after the third hour that the longer the wait, the better off you are.

At about 1130am, Andrea's name was butchered over the loudspeaker by a gringo employee and we were called to another bulletproof window. The man began speaking to Andrea via jailhouse phone and after a few moments she passed the phone to me because she couldn't understand everything. It appeared that the missing document was important, but not so much to deny her her visa. Basically what happened was, as a sponsor and unbeknownst to both of us, I too needed to fill out an Affidavit of Support Form I864 (like mom did as a sponsor) and submit that to the embassy as well. The man told me to inform Andrea that she can return to the embassy any time before September 19th with the form (and a letter from me stating that I haven't paid federal income taxes in the past 5 years) and she will be awarded her visa.

She's returning tomorrow.

This afternoon we began pricing tickets for the both of us to return to the states in December. And Andrea has informed me that the pressure is on for her to improve her English as well as complete the ISSA certification before then. Apparently, when she feels the pressure is when she performs best. I believe her.

2 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Is the december visit for the holidays or a permanent move?

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Chancletika said...

December is the holiday visit for me, permanent move for Andrea. We're thinking of road tripping up the coast to Ed's in Oregon for Christmas, passing through SF. What are your Xmas plans? Santa Maria?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home