Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Who Knew

This past Friday I was married to Andrea Aguirre in Notary Public #5, Bogota, Colombia. Having never been married, much less married in a Notary, I didn't know what to expect but Andrea advised me that it would be very informal. Andrea and I were accompanied by some good friends from my previous school and Andrea's father. We had to wait about 45 minutes for reasons unknown, then were ushered into an office where we sat at a very old desk. Then a very obese, middle-aged gentleman who had an advanced case of emphysema and was rank with cigarette smoke, sat down heavily, read our names, and asked if I understood Spanish. He then proceeded on a 10-minute monologue about the importance of marriage, how to treat each other, respect one other, and any future offspring we may have. We signed a couple of documents and that was that.

Mom and dad arrived later that evening by plane to meet their new inlaws, celebrate with us and, most importantly for my dad to meet Andrea for the first time. Many translations ensued, Colombian arts and crafts were purchased, dinner was eaten, and in general, good times were had by all. In the near future, we'll be making an appointment with the U.S. embassy for Andrea to acquire her spousal visa and whatever other documents she needs in order to work in the U.S. At this point, Andrea and I plan to stay one more year here and then move to the United States for an indefinite amount of time. She would find work as a Body Systems instructor and I would continue my career as an educator. We'll be sending out the S.O.S. to friends and family at about this time next year for any possible assistance in job placement.

On a personal note, if you told me 10 years ago that this was how I was to be married for the first time I would have told you to have another drink. I guess that's how life is. But in all honesty, I'm super happy and looking forward to the next year here in Bogota with my new job and the next few dozen or so years with Andrea.

2 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Well, here on the blog at least. Veronica and I were thinking about you two on Friday wondering if it was still happening. We wanted to call but I don't know that I even have your number. Anyway, congratulations and felicitaciones to you both and may you have a wonderful life together. Hope to see you both back in the States soon.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Poor But Happy said...

Hey Nate,
Thanks for the well-wishes. So far married life is not so different than it was before...we still live together and still very much in love. Our plan at this point is to save as much money as possible and get out of debt, I'm going to finish my masters course, and have enought to make a smooth move back to the states next year. We're both super tired of being here and are in desperate need of a change. We're not sure where we'll be, I have my preferences to the west coast. In July, I'll be in L.A. putting my fingerprints on record, then I hope to drive to Las Vegas and Yuma and do the same. Are you heading to Mike's wedding? I wouldn't doubt it if you were the best man. Talk soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home