Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Self-Analysis

What happens when you find yourself always looking forward to everything? Lately I've been finding myself saying things like, 'only one more day until...' or 'in two more weeks...' and 'by this time in two months, I'll be...'

I've also been thinking about whether or not being a teacher is the right career path for me. I realized recently that being a teacher is one of the few jobs that exist where someone can put so much time and effort into, yet see very little (if any) payoff. In the past 3 years, I've averaged between 22 and 25 hours of classroom teaching. Additionally, I must spend anywhere from on the average of 4-6 hours every day of the week outside of the classroom either planning classes/labs/activities, grading papers, in meetings, or taking classes to become better at what I've been debating about even doing. And what do I see as a result? Parents coming in telling me that their child is a genius and asking me why their failing. Students who bitch about things being too difficult. Mediocrity, apathy, ignorance, blah blah.

Could all these ramblings be symptoms of the change that I've been desiring for for awhile now? Could this mean that I am due for another career change (I was in the environmental consulting business for about the same amount of time before becoming a teacher), or could this all just be me overthinking things?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home