Saturday, January 27, 2007

Recluse and Fancy Free

I'm back in Bogota and have been living solo for the past two weeks. Many of the people I work with tell me I'm 'free', meaning the wife is away and I can basically do what I like. I enjoy their little efforts of fishing around for the real reason why I don't join them in social gatherings (one hypothesis was when someone mentioned that Andrea 'had me on a [short] leash'). I see it as a weak way of someone trying to find the answers to my behavior or decisions I make without directly asking me, but at the same time looking cool in front of their friends. Some try to figure me out (men, mostly, I've noticed) by making these types of comments, trying to elicit some sort of response, whether it be defensive or jovial or agreeable. I don't give them any indication of my way of thinking. I think it frustrates them. Who knows.

The truth of the matter is I don't have any interest in going out with most of them; they don't seem too interesting to me. Maybe I'm not giving them a chance. Again, who knows. My frame of mind right now is to throw myself into as much work and as many projects as I can to pass the time, save as much money as possible to leave here debt-free. Go from one thing to another with no down time. This country has nothing more to offer me, as far as I'm concerned and I was ready to leave six months ago. Still needing a change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home