Sunday, April 15, 2007

Looking More Forward

I began thinking about why I don't really want to be here anymore and I concluded that there are many more freedoms which exist in the states. I can see Andrea and I in Denver or Los Angeles and just waking up in the morning, deciding to get out, strapping the mountain bikes to the top of the car, packing a lunch and drinks, and spending the day in the mountains above the LA basin or the beaches, or biking around one of the hundreds of bike trails in the metropolitan area of Denver. I can see us strapping on the snowboards and going to spend the day in Winter Park or Mammoth.

I miss having choices of things I love to do, outdoorsy stuff. I miss having a bike that is my size and is comfortable. I miss snowboarding. I'd like to learn how to Rollerblade. The logistics of doing things outdoors here are much more complicated (with the exception of Sundays from 7am to 2pm and even then you're limited to the streets designated to the Ciclovia). Maybe I just don't know about any mountain biking trails around the Andes mountains here, if there are any. But not having a car limits a person tremendously regardless of what city you live in or how well-designed the city is for car-less travel.

It's true I'm much more conscientious about my health being married to a personal trainer/fitness instructor. But what I think got me thinking is something my dad said recently which was that he started weight training and paying attention to his physique at about the same age I am now. I still don't see myself attending any gyms but I do see myself doing much more fun, athletic, outdoor activities in my near future. Maybe that's why I'm thinking more and more about getting out of here and starting again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home