Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Read the questions bellow...

Occasionally, a young girl arrives in the middle of the school year and would like to be a student. More often than not, the student is given an admission test to see what her level of English is. This morning I was asked to correct her test and give my best judgment as to whether or not her English was at the level of 8th grade (she is intending to enter as an 8th grader). But to my dismay, the test itself had as many if not more errors in spelling, punctuation, and grammar than her responses did. I was embarrassed to be working there. Imagine if she had come from an American school (there is a new student in one of my 8th grade classes whose former school consisted of all but 2 subjects taught in English) and were asked to complete it. She would turn to her parents and ask them to keep shopping around.

On a related note, I just recalled hearing that a potential first grader, when being walked through the school by the director, was quoted as saying: "I don't like it here because it's too noisy. The other girls scream too much." It's good to know that I'm not alone in this opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home