Saturday, January 21, 2006

Wham, bam, shake my hand

About 3 months ago, I signed on with this headhunter called Search Associates which is based in the US but finds jobs for teachers who want to teach overseas. Although last year, ISS (another company with similar services) rejected my application for whatever reasons they had, Search Associates decided to represent me and invite me to their next job fair. Initially, I thought that attending job fairs was a foregone conclusion because of my current location and financial status but after weighing the options and realizing that these job fairs have a 50-75% success rate, I decided to attend their upcoming one in Carmel, California the weekend of February 3,4, and 5th.

It appears as though more than 30 international schools will be there, from China to Kuwait to Bulgaria and each school has their own hotel room. So the way it works is you make appointments (or they make them with you) and you go to their room and have a little chat. Interviews typically last an hour or so and you can have as many as 7 or 8 in one day (although 4 or 5 is the average). Even though I'll only be able to attend the fair for one day (Saturday), I doesn't really seem to be at a disadvantage. I'll miss the orientation and familiarizing myself with the hotel. Nate was nice enough to put me up for the two nights I'll be back in the states. I won't be able to do much else while I'm back. Sleep and smile, that's about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home